Simple Ways to Bless Orphans on Orphan Sunday
Do you ever find yourself wishing for an easy way to share with others about orphan care… but you’re short on ideas?
Orphan Sunday is a great way to get on board a train that’s already moving. Started by the Christian Alliance for Orphans (CAFO) many years ago, Orphan Sunday is a single day each year in which churches, groups, families, and individuals can focus on and raise awareness of orphans and orphan care ministries.
We at Last Bell love this idea. It’s a time when orphan care organizations all over the world are on the same page, partnered with friends and supporters to say, “Orphans, you matter to us!”
Orphan Sunday is coming up soon: November 13th, 2016.
That’s less than three weeks away – but it’s not too late to do something special! Here are a few ideas:
- Ask your church to mention Orphan Sunday, and have a special prayer time for orphans and orphan care organizations.
- Talk with your kids about what it might be like to be an orphan, and choose a child to sponsor or an orphan care organization to support. (Last Bell would be a good choice!)
- Let your friends know it’s Orphan Sunday and you’ll be taking up a special collection to send to your favorite orphan care organization.
- For churches that enjoy a call-and-response format, Last Bell offers a Responsive Prayer Guide.
- If you’re praying for Last Bell, read through our Programs page and pray for the staff and young people in each program.
Or, browse through some of the resources on CAFO.org, and see if any of them look like a good fit for you or your community.
Here’s a simple prayer you can pray over the next few weeks, or ask your church/family/small group to pray:
God, you know the needs of orphans across the world, inside and out. Please have mercy on children without families, blessing them with clothes, good food, and safe places to live. Send compassionate adults into their lives to love and walk beside them. And bring them the peace that comes from knowing Jesus. Amen.
If you’d like to know how to highlight Last Bell in your church, small group, family, or friend group on November 13th, please don’t hesitate to contact us!